Last update by --Barvision 14:38, 26 March 2018 (PDT)
Creating and Sharing Folders
- Log onto OwnCloud using your CWL
- Near the top left of the landing page, right of the home icon, press "+" and select folder. Type in the name and press enter to create the folder.
- The folder will appear in the list. On the right side of the folder row, there is a share button (three interconnected dots) and additional options. Press the share button
- A panel will appear on the right with a field to enter names.
- If you enter a non-CWL account, the user will be able to see the folder and make edits (upload, move, delete, rename) but they cannot share the file with others.
- If you enter a CWL account, you have more control over what permissions are available. Click the ellipses to get additional options.
Creating and sharing sub-directories
Creating sub-directories is the same as above. Note that sharing sub-directories does not grant access to the parent directory. For example:
- I have the following folders in this structure: "Parent Directory" > "Sub-directory"
- I share "Parent Directory" with Mario - he has access to "Parent Directory" _and_ "Sub-directory" according to permissions I set in "Parent Directory"
- I share "Sub-directory" with Luigi - they have access only to "Sub-directory", and not "Parent Directory"
The implication is that you can have a large folder for an entire lab, where individuals have access to their own projects. Note regarding sharing:
- When a folder is shared, people with "re-share" access can revoke permissions:
- In the example above, if Mario shares "Sub-directory" to Luigi, I can also see and change Luigi's permissions
Previous versions of files are saved and do not count against your storage quota.
To fetch a previous version:
- click on the file to open the file panel (on the right)
- On the right side panel, click the "Versions" tab
- To restore a file, click the circular arrow. To download the file, click on the timestamp.
A Nextcloud Manual is created in your directory when you log in. It should have the most up-to-date information on using NextCloud.